Rocky Mountain Director
Position: Rocky Mountain Director
Immediate Supervisor: Director of Learning and Adventure
Location: Canmore, AB
Start date: February 2020 (Flexible)
Employment Type: Full-Time Contract
Since 1969, Outward Bound Canada has made it our mission to cultivate resilience, leadership, connections and compassion, through inspiring and challenging journeys of self-discovery in the natural world. A not-for-profit, charitable, educational organization, Outward Bound Canada has challenged over 150,000 Canadians to step out of their comfort zone with our unique outdoor adventures. We pride ourselves on offering transformational journeys that encourage participants to push beyond their limits and discover their true potential.
ABOUT THE POSITION
We are searching for a leader to grow our programs in the Rocky Mountains and Saskatchewan. This growth has many facets: program quality, student numbers, staff engagement and retention, and revenue. The Rocky Mountain Director will be the primary leader for OBC in the region, and will work to ensure the high quality of existing programs, and connect with new clients to create new programs.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Excellence in Education and Adventure: Ensure that we meet both these values at a high standard in all programs. See that all programs are designed so as to maximize the quality of the Outward Bound process experienced by the students.
Leadership and Management: be a dynamic contributor to the OBC leadership team, providing both strategic and tactical direction at team meetings and retreats and providing regional leadership and representation as required.
Revenue Generation: Ensure revenue targets are met or exceeded through a dynamic and effective balance of onboarding new clients and engagement of existing clients.
Program Design: leading the design of courses and programs and ensuring close alignment with the OBC mission and vision.
Operations Planning and Management: coordinating the development, execution and evaluation of annual operations planning. Identifying and managing the resources, budgets and people required to deliver a sustainable, responsibly managed and high-quality program.
Relationship Management: maintaining relationships with delivery partners, key clients, land managers and other stakeholders as necessary to ensure high quality program delivery.
Staff Supervision: hiring, supervising and mentoring program and field staff, with the goal of building a dynamic, engaged, and high performing instructional faculty.
Logistics Systems: developing effective logistics systems to support program delivery, ensuring effective integration of program resources and people, as well as anticipating and addressing emerging operational delivery issues.
Risk Management: monitoring logistics, food, transportation, admissions, route planning, staffing, emergency response, curriculum and incident reporting plans etc. to maintain appropriate risk management and oversight of safety systems. Act as Regional Safety Officer for Rocky Mountain Programs.
SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE DESIRED
- 8+ years’ experience in outdoor education or outdoor leadership or a related field.
- Proven experience leading teams and effectively supervising others.
- In-depth knowledge of the outdoor and experiential/adventure industry and knowledgeable of/aligned with the Outward Bound philosophy and pedagogy.
- Results-proven track record of exceeding goals and a bottom-line orientation.
- Evidence of the ability to consistently make good decisions through a combination of analysis, wisdom,
- Experience, and judgment; sufficient level of business acumen including successful P&L management; the ability to balance the delivery of programs against the realities of a budget; and creative resourcefulness.
- Experience with youth-at-risk and/or vulnerable sector populations is preferred.
- Competent and current in implementing system-wide risk management best practices within the outdoor
- Detail oriented: excellent planning, organizational, communication and system building skills.
- Excellent interpersonal and people management skills – A track record of building strong internal stakeholder relationships and a positive and harmonious staff team.
- Solution-focused; able to take responsibility and deliver results unsupervised.
- Must be fluent in English: fluency in French and/or FNMI languages are assets.
- Graduate education in one of the following fields: Environmental Science, Education, Recreation, Behavioral Sciences, Social Sciences, Leadership.
COMPENSATION AND BENEFITS
- Salary range $65,000 – $73,000 + benefits
READY TO APPLY?
Cover letters, resumes and trip logs can be submitted via our application database ot by email via firstname.lastname@example.org:
Please identify the position as “Rocky Mountain Director” when you apply.
Application deadline: Open until filled
Outward Bound Canada is an equal opportunity employer. We thank all applicants for their interest; however, only candidates selected for an interview will be contacted. No phone calls please.